My Corned-Beef Dinner(for today or any weekend thereafter)
You need the following for this Corned-Beef brisket recipe:
- One medium size corned-beef for a family of four(larger if more).
- One can of diced tomatoes, any brand will do.
- One cup of olive oil,a bunch of carrots,a bunch of celery,a couple of potatoes(all washed and cubed),a couple
of onions cut in quarters, salt and pepper to taste,(if you have no problem with salt intake).
- Two small cabbages(small cook faster).
- One stock pot, large enough to hold the corned-beef and enough water to cover it.
- In an oven pan place all the vegetables, mixed with the tomatoes, olive oil, and salt-pepper, also from the
corner of the pan, pour about two cups of water, carefully not to dilute the the mixture. Set aside.
- In the pot place the corned-beef and cover it with water that, reaches 3-inches above the meat . As I said before,
if you have no problem with salt intake, cut up the two cabbages in quarters and include in the pot, the cabbage is
sweet and will absorb the salt from the corned-beef and will taste delicious, use as a side dish.
- Let the corned-beef boil for at least two to three hours, remove the cabbage, when it gets tender, then remove
the corned-beef, when that gets tender. Throw the water away. I do not use cabbage, but a lot of people do.
- In the oven pan, place just the meat on top of the vegetables, cover the whole pan with aluminum foil and let it
cook in the oven(350o), until the vegetables are done. Fifteen(15) minutes before you take the pan out of the oven, remove
the foil to let the corned-beef brown a little. You must watch it, not to brown too much, you do not want the meat to dry.
- There you have it, a complete dinner with all your vegetables in one pan. Slice the corned-beef place it on a serving
platter with the vegetable around it and bring it to your holiday table.
- The Corned-beef leftovers make delicious sandwiches.
For dessert follow(another recipe) or buy an Apple-Pie.
- A couple of cheese chunks(different kind),
- About ten olives,
- A couple of shrimp(freshly cooked or from a can),
- A couple of turnips(red),
- Two scallions cut bite-size.
- Arrange all these on a platter or a large flat dish. This is good for your hungry guests until dinner.
Happy Holidays and enjoy your dinner,ellie.
Copyright @ 1996/2016, Ellie Kondy